Not so famous among the tourers, nevertheless Dawes has a more-than-a-century-long history in making bikes, deserving a spot in the UK bicycle manufacturing Olympus.
The Dawes Karakum Touring Bike features a lightweight alloy frame and Chromoly fork. Distinctive because of the butterfly handlebars it offers unrivaled comfort with multi riding positions on those long tours. A roll call of quality components consists of Shimano Alivio 27 speed gears, Shimano hubs, Shimano V-brakes, Schwalbe Silento II tires, and an ultra-comfy Dawes saddle.
Good touring frame able to circumnavigate the world – some updataes might be worth
The Dawes Karakum seems to have been discontinued by Dawes. There are still many around in the second-hand market.
Dawes Karakum Specs
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano RD-M430 Alivio 9spd
- Shifters: Shimano SL-M390 Rapidfire 27spd
- Chainrings: 48-36-26T Chainrings
- Cassette: Shimano 9spd Cassette 11-32T
- Brakeset: Shimano BR-M422 Alloy V
- Brakes Rims: ALEX Ace19 Double Wall Alloy, with CNC braking surface
- Hubs: 36H Shimano FH-RM70 Quick Release, alloy
- Tyres: Schwalbe Silento II 700 x 32C
A step-through “ladies” version of this touring bike also used to be available.
Looking for a Travel Bike? Check these!