Last Updated on
The best cycling water bottles in 2019
Insulated, Stainless Steel, Large or Lightweight for Pro Cyclists
A guide to the top bike bottles, thoroughly reviewed
Biking is no doubt among the best physical exercises. If you love to go on long rides, you’ll need the right gear to do it.
Apart from the bike and a good quality helmet, you will also need a good quality water bottle. Whether you are exploring new sights or cycling in a competitive race, you need to keep yourself hydrated.
Just a sip can keep you going and prevent you from any unfortunate incident during your journey. With overwhelming options available on the market, choosing the right one can become a daunting task.
To make things easier for you, we have compiled the best water bottle reviews and a buying guide.
We’ll explain all you need to know before choosing the best bike water bottles.
So let’s start with a quick comparison, and then dive into the reviews.
- The top GPS bike computers reviewed
- 13 Best headlamps for all purposes
- Best and Safest Helmets for Cyclists
- The Best Portable Solar Panel Chargers – Which One to Choose?
- Cycling Headphones? What should you choose to stay safe?
- 13 Top Action Cams for Cycling, ever thought of 360?
9 Best Cycling Water Bottle – Comparison Table
|Contigo||Double-Wall Vacuum||Stainless Steel||Yes||0.7 l/ 24 Oz||14|
|Takeya||Double-Wall Vacuum||Stainless Steel||Yes||0.7 l/ 24 Oz||8|
|Hydro Flask||Double-Wall Vacuum||Stainless Steel||Yes||0.7 l/ 24 Oz||16|
|Embrava||None||Tritan Polyester Plastic||Yes||0.5 l/ 18 oz||4|
|Coleman||Double-Wall Vacuum||Stainless Steel||Yes||1.2 l/ 40 oz||7|
|Camelbak||Double-Wall||Polypropylene||No||0.73 l/ 25 oz||6|
|Schwinn||None||Polypropylene||No||0.7 l/ 24 Oz||1|
|Zorri||None||Tritan Polyester Plastic||Yes||0.7 l/ 24 Oz||9|
|Polar||Double-Wall||Polypropylene||Yes||0.7 l/ 24 Oz||12|
Buying Guide – How to choose the right water bottle
To look for the best-insulated water bottles first you must understand your needs. It will enable you to narrow down your options and only focus on the items that are most suitable for your requirements.
Here are some of the critical features you must consider when looking for the best bike water bottles.
This is arguably the most important feature of a bike water bottle. You can either go for a plastic water bottle or stainless steel. If you want plastic, then make sure it is BPA-free. Plastic bottles are lightweight and they are good for hot climates.
No matter which material you choose for your bottle, it needs to be properly insulated. This is important for the purpose of keeping your drink cold or warm for long periods.
You might have heard a lot about double-walled vacuum insulation. This technology allows you to maintain the temperature of your drink for several hours.
With this feature, your cold drink will remain cold and warm drinks will remain warm for long hours.
Spout operation is key if you are going to keep your bottle in a cage and drink on the go. You will need a bottle that has a spout and it needs to pop up with just a push of a button.
No-hands operation is even better as you can focus on the road while you have a sip. A screw-top lid is a better option if you plan to stop and have a drink.
Leak proofing is imperative because you don’t want to end up with an empty bottle when you stop for a drink. You must consider different leak-proof features. The lids or spouts need to be lockable.
Easy to clean
Don’t go for a bottle that is an absolute nightmare when it comes to cleaning. This is particularly important if you are looking to use your bottle for drinks other than water.
Consider bottle components that are dishwasher safe. If you prefer to wash everything with your hands, then your bottle needs to come apart fairly easily. This will enable you to access every component for cleaning especially the spout.
When you are looking to carry the bottle in your bike cage, make sure the bottle fits right in. Many bottle holders are pretty flexible but not every cage will accommodate every bottle. Those oversized 40 oz bottles are the real ones to watch out!
9 Best Bike Water Bottles – Reviews
Contigo AutoSeal Water Bottle – Best Overall
Contigo is leading the pack of best water bottles on the market. The stainless steel construction makes it durable and the Thermalock keeps the water cold for a long time.
The AutoSeal button of this stainless steel cycling water bottle seals the lid between your sips. It will prevent any leaks and spills while you drink.
With its double-walled vacuum insulation, you can conveniently keep your drinks cold for up to a whopping 28 hours. For this reason, this bottle is a good choice for long rides.
The spout of this lid also comes with a protective cover. It will keep any germs or dirt away from the mouthpiece so you can have a clean drink. This protective cover also makes the cleaning process easy.
- It comes with Thermalock insulation for maintaining temperature for up to 28 hours.
- The AutoSeal button prevents any spills and ensures easy one-handed operation.
- The spout comes with a protective cover for clean and healthy drinking.
- A carrying handle is there for easy transportation.
- The lid is dishwasher safe and you can wash it with your hands.
- Available in different colors
- The bottle tends to leak if you place it on its side.
Takeya Originals Water Bottle – Best for Value
This BPA-free food-grade water bottle will not transfer any flavors. You don’t have to worry about any leakages.
The double-walled insulation of this water bottle will keep your beverage cold for an entire day. It will also keep your hot beverage in the same way for twelve hours. It is highly effective if you are riding in warmer or colder climates.
Takeya has used food-grade and BPA free materials in the construction of this bottle. The bottle will not transfer any unwanted flavors in your mouth and it won’t sweat either.
The spout of this water bottle is entirely leak-proof and has a very innovative design. You can easily operate this spout with one hand and there is a hinge lock as well that will keep the cap away from your mouth when you are having a sip.
- It can keep your drink warm for half a day and cold for an entire day.
- BPA-free materials.
- This bottle comes with a spout that is leak-proof and prevents any spills.
- You can open the lid with one hand.
- Available in different colors and sizes.
- It is a bit wide and you will need a specifically designed bottle cage for it.
Hydro Flask – Best for Premium Quality
This bike water bottle does live up to the claims of keeping the water cold for a day and warm for half a day.
Food grade materials
This bottle features high-quality phthalate and food-grade BPA-free materials. With any temperature irregularities, it won’t become unhealthy for you.
This flask is able to maintain the temperature of the contents of your bottle for a long period of time. The bottle is double-walled and vacuumed to prevent heat exchange with the surroundings.
With powder coating, the bottle becomes a lot easier to grip. The bottle also stays sweat-free because of this coating.
Flex cap or Sport Cap
The flex cap is firm and highly flexible. It features stainless steel pivots and features an easy to carry strap.
It is best for your drinks when you stay. If you are looking for an on-the-go option, then choose the Sport Cap. This will allow you to hydrate yourself one-handed.
- Conveniently maintain the temperature of the fluids with its double-walled construction.
- The stainless steel used in the construction is free from phthalate and BPA.
- You can use the Sport cap for one-handed use on the go.
- Multiple colors and sizes are available.
- The sport cap is not leakproof and it is not for hot fluids
Embrava Sports Water Bottle – Best for Competitive Cycling
If you are looking for the best bike water bottles, then you cannot ignore Embrava. This bottle is specifically designed for competitive cycling.
You can easily open the bottle with one click during the action. Just slide in your hand into the strap and take a sip. Apart from cycling, it is also a great option for the gym, running, yoga, tennis, Crossfit, hiking, and MMA.
Eco-friendly and non-toxic materials
Embrava has used eco-friendly materials in the construction of this bottle and they are non-toxic. The Tritan polyester plastic is not harmful to your body as well as the environment.
Premium quality construction
The shape of the bottle is ergonomic to ensure the easy one-handed operation and it also features a tough carrying strap. The bottle is very durable and is meant for outdoor use.
- This is the perfect water bottle for outdoor activities.
- Durable construction
- It keeps the contents cold and warm for long periods.
- No use of any harmful chemicals for your body or the environment.
- The one-handed functioning of this bottle is excellent for people on the go.
- The lid of the bottle tends to sweat in a warm climate.
Coleman AutoSeal Water Bottle – Best for Leak-proof Construction
Looking for a large-sized bike water bottle? Go for the Coleman. This 1.2 liter stainless steel water bottle is durable and it is designed for people who love to spend their time cycling on the road.
This flask is vacuum-insulated and has a double-walled construction. Now your cold drink will remain that way for up to 58 hours and your hot beverages will stay the same for 20 hours.
High flowing spout
The spout of this large cycling water bottle allows high flow. You can quickly hydrate and get back on the road without wasting any time.
This water bottle also comes with the AutoSeal feature and it will keep the fluid from spilling during your sips. The protective cover for the spout is also there to prevent germs and dirt from entering into your mouth.
- Coleman has used BPA-free materials.
- The protective spout will keep the mouth of the bottle free from any germs.
- With AutoSeal you don’t have to deal with any spills during your sips.
- The double-walled construction makes the bottle properly insulated.
- You have to press a button for opening the valve each time you sip.
Camelbak – Best Lightweight Option
This fancy-looking water bottle from Camelbak is extremely lightweight and it can keep your water cold for long periods. The bottle has an easy to clean design and it’s definitely among the best cycling water bottles in this list.
Self-sealing jet valve
This bottle features a self-sealing jet valve. With this valve, you won’t experience any spills or splatters during your sips. So drink as much as you love.
This bottle is extremely lightweight because it is not made of stainless steel. Moreover, you can easily squeeze it to increase the flow of water.
The nozzle of this bottle is removable and you can easily do it to clean the bottle. This is probably one of the best options for you to consider if you like washing by your hands.
- Lightweight design for easy carrying and one-handed use.
- You can squeeze it for increasing the water flow as per your needs.
- The jet valve is self-sealing and it won’t allow any splatters.
- Effortless cleaning.
- It doesn’t keep the fluid’s temperature for long hours.
Schwinn Water Bottle – Best for Budget
If you do cycling occasionally and don’t want to spend too much on a water bottle, then this is the right option for you to consider.
Hold your carbonated drinks
This budget water bottle from Schwinn is able to hold a carbonated drink for you. Furthermore, it is able to maintain a stay water flow so that you can quench our thirst.
Schwinn has been around for a long time in the bicycle industry and for this reason they understand the needs of a regular cyclist. Cyclists need to remain active and well-hydrated during their rides. So the company has used food-grade plastic in the construction of this bottle to keep it healthy.
Easy to clean
This cheap water bottle is very easy to clean as it is dishwasher safe. However, if you prefer to use your hands for cleaning then this will be slightly awkward for you.
- This bottle is easy to squeeze and is dishwasher safe.
- Your purchase will include a bottle cage as well.
- The spout comes with a lid and it prevents any spills and leakages.
- The bottle is very easy to use on the go with one hand.
- If you prefer to wash using your hands then this bottle is not the right option for you.
Zorri – Best for Pop-Open Lid
If you’re looking for some color variety and a bottle with a pop-open lid, then this water bottle from Zorri needs to be on your checklist.
The traditional pop-open lid is still going strong and Zorri understands that. With this lid, the bottle becomes 100% leak proof.
No plastic tasting water
Zorri has used BPA-free plastic in the construction of this bottle and you won’t get the taste of the bottle in your drinks.
Durable filtering layer
This bottle features a highly durable filtering layer and it is the ideal choice for infusing fruits in your drinks.
- This water bottle has a filter right next to the lid and it allows you to infuse a variety of fruits in your drinks.
- Available in a range of colors and sizes.
- The bottle is very easy to use with one hand as it features a pop-open lid.
- The plastic that this bottle is BPA-free and the lid is leak-proof.
- You have to have that filter in place otherwise the water flow will make a mess for sure.
Polar Water Bottle – Best for Thermal Protection
If thermal protection is your top priority, you need to go for the Polar water bottle. You can find different colors and it is available in two sizes.
When it comes to insulation there is no one better than Polar. The company was the first one to introduce this feature in water bottles. Therefore, these water bottles can keep the temperature of your fluids twice as long as the competition.
Freezer and dishwasher safe
This bottle is freezer as well as dishwasher safe you can conveniently use the dishwasher to clean it and can also place it in your freezer.
Free from any toxins
This water bottle is made of BPA-free plastic and throughout the production process; the company hasn’t used any harmful chemicals.
- You can find different colors of your choice to suit your style.
- This bottle is excellent when it comes to thermal protection.
- There are no hazardous chemicals or materials used in the production process of this bottle.
- This water bottle is safe to be cleaned with a dishwasher.
- It does tend to leak at times when you are drinking from it.
Frequently Asked Questions – Cycling Water Bottles
The winner of this roundup of best bike water bottles is Contigo. It comes at a pretty decent price and the bottle is very durable. Contigo has not used any hazardous materials in the construction of this bottle and it is completely safe to use.
So what do you think about our list of best cycling water bottles? Did we miss any of your favorites? Let us know in the comment section below!