Last Updated on
The Best Instant Pop-Up tents in 2019 – Compared!
In this review article, we carried out careful research and done the stressful work for you to choose the best camping instant tent for your next trip
If you want to take your family out camping, but don’t want to spend half a day setting up your shelter, why not going for a pop-up tent?
Pup-Up tents, also called instant tents, have improved a lot in recent years, they became lighter, more compact, sturdier and fully waterproof, at least some of them.
Choosing the best instant tent for your needs might be a strenuous task, with so many models out there on the market it’s easy to get confused. you don’t have to fear any weather condition.
So, if you are searching for the best pop up camping tent for you and your family, read this article. We have carried out careful research and done the stressful work for you. In this review, we have compiled the Top 10 tents to help you make your choice – we’ll feature here very diverse models for all kinds of uses, from family camping to couple, from great and cheap festival tents to large group shelters for summer camp activities.
Maybe you could also be interested in:
Why An Instant Tent, Are Those The Easiest to Set Up?
An instant tent is the easiest tent to set up when you go camping. They come with an integrated pole design that can collapse faster yet remain attached to the body of the tent. Pop-up tents are ideal to set up even under the rain.
For most of them, you don’t even need to read through the instructional manual before fixing it up. All you need to do is to unfold the tent, stretch out the poles, and then lock it in place.
Usually you just need to unpack the tent and lay it on the ground, the tent will open automatically and it will be ready for use just in 60 seconds or less, while some (especially the bigger ones) may require a bit more work, but always less than a traditional tent.
If there’s wind, or you just want to be sure not to have troubles while sleeping, use the included pegs to fix the tent to the ground.
Taking the tent down and packing it is usually easy to do, sometimes not as easy as setting it up since you’ll have to make it fit in its case, but a few attempts and a careful look at the instructions should be enough. In most cases, a single person can do it, while bigger tents often require at least two pairs of hands.
Bear in mind though, that instant tents are not as professional as traditional tents, what you get in convenience you might loose in waterproofness, weight, and bulk.
Disclosure: Some of our articles contain affiliate links, that means we might receive a small percentage compensation if you purchase one of the linked product whitin a ceratin time frame. This comes at no additional cost for you and helps us keep this website up and running. (as an Amazon affiliate I earn from qualifying purcheses)
How to Choose The Best Pop Up Tent
If you are in the market to purchase a pop-up tent, stop and consider a few things first:
What use will you do of your pop up tent? When you camp with your family, a roomy tent is what you need to comfortably accommodate everyone. Also, you will need adequate space where to store your camping gear and for all the activities you will like to do inside.
Also, you should always plan for any contingencies when camping. For instance; if you go camping and it rains all day, or the sun becomes unbearable, you will need a roomy tent to take shelter.
Most of the popup tents in this list are single chamber tents, which means you’ll have to stay all together. If you want to get rid of your kids and have some privacy for the night, consider buying a second tent for them… kids love having their own tent.
If you are going solo or with a partner, a two-person tent would usually do – unless you have a lot of gear, have a big body-frame, or plan to camp for many days. In these cases our advice is to get a 3/4 person tent even if you’re just two.
If you are planning to travel with a backpack, the weight of the tent is crucial. However, if it’s car-camping, the tent’s weight may not be a problem.
A heavy tent is likely to be stronger with better chances of withstanding strong winds. Also, you can use a tent for many more seasons. Lightweight tents are usually much more expansive.
Another important factor you should check before buying the best instant camping tent is its layout. Most tents available today come with an interior sleeping area and a vestibule inside their door. This vestibule comes in handy as a storage room for your camping gear.
The majority of the bigger tents has the main door and a vestibule plus a sleeping room on either side of the tent. This particular design is perfect for families since it can provide them with the best privacy option.
Moreover, it offers adequate room for two people occupying an eight-man tent. At least, there will be enough room to store things, relax, hang clothes or the maintenance of your gear.
Buying the best family pop up tent which can withstand every weather condition is the way to go if you have a budget. Since the only shelter you will have out there is your tent, it is advisable to pay a little more to get a durable one.
Don’t go for the cheap brands if you plan on using the tent often, that may disappoint you without notice.
On the other hand, if it’s just for one trip, you could also get a cheap one, it should survive… hopefully. That is why, you need to decide on your requirements and budget before shopping for a new tent.
Top 10 Best Family Instant Tents
Pop Up Instant Tents Comparison Chart
This product is one of the best pop up instant tents we came across. It is easy, super-fast to set-up and perfect for camping. Although this tent is not a lightweight or backpacking-friendly, you can set it up in just five minutes tops. Moreover, it is quite comfortable as far as you are two adults and one kid.
• This tent is 100% waterproof and also carry UV protection. The interior is from 190T polyester material and has PU2000 waterproof rating. The exterior is designed from 190T polyester material and also PU2000 waterproof rating. Both of the layers carry UV protection to safeguard you from UV damages.
• It has impressive features starting from the tent body, a mesh interior, a fiberglass auto mechanism, a polyester rainfly, 14 stakes, and carry bag. There are also two vestibule poles that are attached to this tent for more space.
• The tent design is hexagon in shape with a roomy interior for more accommodation. Its height is 6 feet 66-inch center. As a result, you can comfortably move around. Also, there is enough room in case you want to bring your queen mattress along or string a clothesline or fix overhead light.
• This particular tent has adequate ventilation due to its two doors. The doors carry the D-shape zipper on both sides of the tent. Thus, it is providing maximum ventilation and free entry and exit. Since the windows are of mesh material, more ventilation will come in while mosquitoes stay out.
dimensions: 84.6″x66″ (215xcm170) – This tent can comfortably accomodate 2 adults, you can tightly fit up to two small kids inside. Weight is 5kg
- Great customer care service
- There is even a free replacement of poles
- It is environmentally friendly
- Supper fast to set-up
- Waterproof and durable
- There are no noticeable cons to this brand yet
Coleman is one of the biggest and most popular outdoor gear brands ou there, they have been around since 1901. Coleman products are user friendly and usually good value for money. When it comes to pop up instant tents, Coleman offers a wide range of options from 2-persons to the humongous 10-person-instant-tent, one of the biggest in the market.
The design featured here is similar for the 4-persons, 6-persons, and 10-persons pop-up tents – while the 8-person version adopt a dome-style geometry which withstands heavy winds better. The Coleman 8-person pop up tent also comes with a big vestibule, which is not present in the square models (like the one in the picture).
• This particular product comes with Dark Room Technology. As a result, it blocks up to 90% of the sunlight from entering the tent. It also lowers the temperature buildup by 10%. Good for those who like to sleep a bit longer after sunrise.
• The Set up for this instant camping tent is easy and quick. The poles are already assembled, so your tent will be up in just 60 seconds.
• There is also a notable WeatherTec system built in this tent with tube-like flooring. Also, it has covered side welds and seams to keep it dry during a rainy, great attributes to keep the water out.
• You can easily dismantle this tent without a glitch. As soon as you want to head home, your tent will conveniently enter the carrying bag.
- It is easy to set up and collapse
- Long lasting and reliable
- Maximum ventilation
- This tent can contain up to 6 people comfortably
- Not backpacking friendly
|Coleman Pop Up Tents||9.8 lbs
|8×7 feet with 4-foot 11-inch center height
If you are a backpacker and want a pop-up tent, the Night Cat Camping Tent is the closest you can get to a lightweight and compact shelter. It is one of the easiest tents to set up and a good choice for your outdoor adventures. This tent sets up automatically enabling even one person to finish the job. It has enough inner space to fit in your queen or king-size mattress and still have space for one kid. It also comes in a 1-man version.
- It comes with an automatic design. With the help of its hydraulic pressure system, you can easily set up and collapse this tent automatically.
- It is very sturdy to withstand any hard wind and maintains dryness in drizzles.
- It comes with double doors on either side of the tent for proper ventilation and free entrance and exit. You can completely open and close the doors and windows.
- There are also indoor pockets which you can use to store your little items.
- The rain fly can be separated as a pavilion for other use such as fishing or beaching
- It is easy to set up and to take down
- The windows can close and open from either the outside or inside.
- You can easily disconnect the rainfly from the inside tent.
- With sturdy fiberglass poles, this tent sets up fully
- A little amount of water can still pass through from the floor during a steady rain.
- A bit tight for 3 persons
|Night Cat Waterproof
|2 to 4 persons
Another good player in the market of budget pop-up tents, Toogh makes hydraulic system hexagonal instant tents in various sizes.
Both the tent floor and rainfly are sturdy with a non-stretch polyester material. There is also an additional rip-stop layer which ensures the durability of this tent. It doesn’t have a vestibule but a long door which turns into a shade, it won’t allow you to stay outside under the rain.
- The tall dome hexagonal shape allows to almost stand up in the tent
- The hydraulic technology allows for instant set up and collapse – it’s sturdy and reliable
- Comes with dual doors with high-density mosquito net and also provides maximum ventilation
- The six angle design delivers stability in case of rainy and windy weather
- This tent is large enough to contain up to four persons comfortably
- This product has an exclusive patent
- The purchase is 100% risk-free
- There is also a 24-hour customer care service and a one-year satisfaction guarantee
- It is easy to store and transport
- No instructions or pictures provided
|Toogh 3-4 Person Pop-Up Hexagon Tent
|90 x 83 x 59″
35 x 7.4 x 7.4″
One of the lightest options in this list, the Ayamaya is also our candidate for the “best pop up tent award”. It has a more “classic” design compared to the hexagonal hydraulic tents previously mentioned.
The folding/unfolding is based on its elastic frame, which sits as a flat circle when packed to litterally “pop” when freed of its constraints.
This type of design is super-quick to set up, basically you won’t even have to touch the tent, but can become a bit of a pain when folding it back, especially before getting used to its system. Be sure to understand it properly to avoid breaking or permanently benting the frame.
Although it is quite large to accommodate a family of foure, it is still lightweight enough not to be too troublesome when carried on long walks..
• This tent comes with privacy windows and ventilated doors. The doors and windows are of mesh material for proper air flow and to protect you from bugs.
• The tent design material is high quality 4000mm waterproof PU-coated oxford groundsheet. The roof fabric is a 3000mm waterproof PU-coated polyester.
• There are also storage pockets within the design of this tent to accommodate your phone, keys, or other accessories.
• This tent can serve multiple purposes. You can transform your windows to a rainfly quite easily.
- Backpacking friendly
- This product is light in weight and can sleep up to four persons.
- Some users reported leakings under heavy rain
|AYAMAYA Pop-Up 3/4 Person||8.5 lbs
|114.2 x 78.7 x 51.2″
(290x200x130cm) packed: 36.2*36.2*1.9i
Core is a brand specializing in VERY LARGE tents. Although huge, this 9-person instant tent is the smallest of their series. This family instant tent is perfect for those always travelling in large numbers. This version can accommodate a family of 9 persons with all their gear, but if you want something bigger just have a look at their 10-person version, or even this 12-person/2-rooms instant tent.
Core is the way to go to accommodate large groups of people almost instantly. Of course though, they are certainly not lightweight at about 16.5kg.
- This instant tent can be set up in 60 seconds and can go down in just 60 seconds. It is quite large to comfortably contain nine people, contain two queen air beds
- With a center height of 78″ (almost 2 meters) it allows to stand up and walk inside the tent
- The H20 Block CORE Technology and adjustable ground vent ensure waterproofness and ventilation
- You can store your little accessories neatly due to its wall pockets and the room divider
- This tent has an integrated lighting system which can be regulated to 3 different levels of intentsity – It works with 4D batteries for up to 250h
- The rainfly can be removed, so to allow stargazing through the inner mesh roof
- Large windows ensure optimal ventilation
- Very large and comfortable, it’s possible to stend-up and walk inside
- Easy to set up and bring down
- 100% waterproof
- There are no associated cons yet
|CORE 9 person Instant Cabin Tent
|168 x 108 x 78″
Another hexagonal design for one of the cheapest tents in this list. Pretty light for its size and price it is airy and roomy and gives its best when fully open during fry days. The waterprofness is not 100% so this is more of a Summer instant tent.
Thanks to its length of 120 inches, a height of 57 inches, and the width of 94.5 inches respectively, this family tent is quite roomy to accommodate up to five people comfortably.
• You can pop up the tent just in a minute. All you need to do is bring out the instant tent from its packaging, and it will automatically stand.
• This tent good has UV protection, high-quality fiberglass poles, completely taped seams, and sturdy 210T polyester fabric.
• The ventilation system of this particular tent is superb. It is due to the doors with double zippers which makes it breathable and easy to enter and exit.
- Backpacking friendly (Compact and not too heavy)
- Provides optimum protection for your family
- Instructions of how to take it down are not available
- Not fully waterproof
|Wnnideo Pop Up 3-5
|120 x 94.5 x 57″
(305 x 240 x 145 cm)
Another one from Coleman, this foldable pop up tent is a bargain for the price (check the latest offer on Amazon!). As already mentioned, Coleman is a trustworthy brand for budget camoing tents, and this item looks like a great pop up tent for light camping, ideal for couples or best friends.
This is another preassambled, integrated poles pop up tent, similar to the Ayamaya mentioned above. Also in this case, just throw the tent and it will instantly pop up, just as you see in the picture. Be carful when folding, do it properly not to risk benting or breaking the frame.
The most interesting feature of this Pop Up tent is it’s adjustable flysheet and roof. The rain cover can indeed be removed, leaving the mesh only for stargazing and ventilation. If bugs are not a problem, even the mesh can be opened, thus allowing for a great nature feeling.
This is also the lightest tent in this list, making it an ideal choice for backpacking or festival camping, when weight is an issue. Keep in mind though that these kind of tents fold in a flat circle, this one is about 70cm in diameter, a bit bulky.
- 185T 68D Fire and water resistant polyester fly
- Sets up in 5 seconds
- Adjustable rainfly and roof
- Waterproof floor
- Ultralight for an instant tent
- Very cheap – great value for money
- Optimal ventilation
- Weak Zippers
- Doesn’t keep dry in heavy rain
- Poles can snap if not properly folded
|Coleman 2 Person Pop Up
|90 x 53 x 35″
(229 x 135 x 89cm)
27.2 x 1.5″
This nice mushroom-looking pop up tent from Gazelle is a concentrate of innovation. It might be one of the most expansive in this list but it also has a lot of features, a great design, and a very quick and easy folding/unfolding system. Literally 90 seconds to put it up.
Simply pop out the wall hubs, pop up the roof panel, and you’re done. The T4 offers ample headroom standing at 78″ in central height and gives you over 61 square feet of useable space.
It’s pop up hubs and frame are all metal and the zippers are made to last. The removable floor is a nice feature for a quick clean up of the tent.
- Six tight weave mesh windows allow ample ventilation while keeping out bugs
- Two D-shaped doors with tight weave mesh screens – for easy load in
- Beefy YKK zippers for durability and dependable performance use after use
- Removable floor for easy cleanup
- Plenty of options for gear storage – a removable gear loft, two large side storage nets, and four wall mounted pouch pockets
- Easy to install fully assembled rainfly – Stakes and guy lines are included to provide stability for when the weather gets choppy
- Coated 210 denier oxford weave polyester shell – waterproof up to 2000 millimeters on a hydrostatic head test
- UV50 plus rating
- 300 denier Oxford weave floor – same waterproof rating as the shell.
- Incredibly easy to set up
- Very roomy
- Great ventilation and access options
- Sturdy design
- Seaming is not perfect
- Can get wet in constant rain if that hits the sides
- Very bulky at 65 inches lenght when packed! Might not fit in your car.
- Width is measured at its widest point (mid height, not floor level), the actual floor size is 84×84″
|Gazelle 30400 T4 Pop-Up
|78” x 94” x 94”
(238 x 238 x 198cm)
8 x 8 x 67.5″
Final Considerations About Instant Pop-Up Tents
In this list, we tried to give you a panoramic of what are, according to our opinion, the best instant pop-up tents, both for families (large and small) and for couples. Consider your needs and make your choice, always keep in mind that pop-up tent are convenient but certainly not the best tents you can get.
Most of these products are made in China, this doesn’t mean they are low quality. Even the most famous outdoor brands produce there about 90% of their gear. Keep in mind though that when a price seems very low, it might mean a lack of quality-control, which is one of the most expensive parts of the production chain. A lack of quality control means that one out of 10 (let’s say) of the products coming out from the factory might be faulty somehow. Check always if the seller offers any warranty.
Maybe you could also be interested in: